Sunday, April 12, 2015

Accountability in Churches

I have come again, you will have to bear with me while I rant.

Why can't Nigerian pastors be accountable to their members?

I don't mean for them to go into so much details and I also don't mean tell everyone that comes through the church doors how you make and spend money.

Personally I think if you are a regular church goer and you can say this is my church, and pay your tithe to that church, the church owes it to you to let you know how money is spent.

Its called being accountable to your members.

I used to go to a Pentecostal church and it was managed by "oyinbos". We don't even have a session for offering, yet they church makes money. People even pay tithes by direct debit every month.

You can't try that in a Nigerian church o, just because you don't trust the pastorate? Let me not generalize, maybe some people do it.

In my old church, every April, we got a statement on how much the church makes and how much we spend on what what and what. Most people don't bother reading it but the fact that it is there makes a lot of people chill out.

So my fellow  Nigerians, do you have annual meetings to talk about income and expenditures? Or  is it too much to ask from our leaders to be transparent.

Maybe not to everyone in church but surely to the members? or fellow ministers?

I remember when I was very young, there was something called AGM (Annual General Meeting) for church member, I obviously had no clue what it was but i knew it was full of numbers and all. So does it still happen?

Are you a committed member of any church? Does it bother you? Do you get told anything?

Oh well, ranting over, its bed time.

New week ahead

Happy days!


1 comment:

  1. Bunmi this is deep. It's an area not many people want to talk about for their own reasons. My opinion is if you start doubting your church management, ask them,if they don't listen to you, either start paying your tithe elsewhere where u know will be transparent or you have no reason to doubt them or just change your church. But pray about it first . God help us all.

    ReplyDelete

Ever Heard of Personal Space?

Have you ever heard about personal space? I really cannot stand it when people are trying to talk to you and they come right in your fa...